Do you want your home to reflect your Indian spirit? Here are some ideas to create an authentic Indian look for your home.
The West has a strong influence on our lives. The internet and the media are active promoters of current western styles and fashions. The culture of countries like USA or UK has impacted our clothes, music, language, work culture et all. It is in our homes that we can nurture a desi lifestyle.
Coming home to India!
Would you like to wake up to or retire in the evenings to familiar Indian surroundings? Here is how you can give your home an ethnic Indian look:
- India is home to various cultures – Rajasthani, Punjabi, South Indian, Maharashtrian, to name just a few. Which culture would you like your house to showcase? Select a particular tradition or theme for your home.
- You might want to consult a professional interior designer. They would be able to give you valuable inputs to give your home the perfect look.
- It would be a good idea to put up photo frames, paintings or wall hangings with a traditional Indian theme, like a depiction from the Ramayana or Mahabharata, or a village scene. A painting featuring a traditional Indian dance like Kathak, Bharatnatyam, or Gujarati or Rajasthani folk will also enhance the Indian décor of your home.
- The curtains, bedcovers, carpets and other tapestry should reflect the Indian look. Use a lot of color, jari work, mirror work or embroidery in your tapestry.
- If you are interested in Indian classical music, you could include some musical instruments like the tabla, flute, or tanpura in your décor.
- You could replace candle stands with traditional diyas or kerosene lamps.
- Use a lot of wood, iron and bronze in your interiors.
- Give a break to your china dinner set and replace it with copper-base utensils. Hard clay vessels would be a good option to lend a typical village look to your kitchen.
Your home reflects your taste and personality. Whatever décor you choose for your home, you have to be comfortable living with it.
How would you decorate your home? How do you think you could extend a traditional look to your home and yet accommodate all the modern conveniences you desire?
You may also be interested in :